I had a crush on Michael Jackson when I was 8. In fact, he was my first real crush. These were the days of "PYT", "Billie Jean", "Beat It" and of course "Thriller". I remember ordering a book (probably from Scholastic Books), a bio, and on the cover MJ had wet curls, a huge, gleaming smile and that red leather jacket. I remember staring at that cover constantly and carrying that book with me wherever I went. And my crush wasn't just for Michael Jackson, it was for his music. He was the music--you could tell by watching him dance and sing that rhythm, timing, melody and beat were what he was made of. The rest of us were mere mortals made of bone and muscle. My siblings and I would play his tape over and over and dance, dance, dance...like everybody did back in the 80's. I feel lucky that my introduction to pop music was from the man himself, the King of Pop, Mr. Michael Jackson. And I kind of...no...I truly feel sorry for people who were introduced to pop by Britney Spears. Le cringe. Le gasp.
Sunday, July 05, 2009
My first crush
When I was 11, MJ came out with "Man In The Mirror" and I've always thought it was a great song. After that, he seemed to fall off my radar as his life and appearance became weird...I had a hard time getting into his music. But I never had to wonder if he had talent: he wrote his own music, he could really sing, he was a genuinely nice guy, he was an amazing performer and he choreographed his music himself--he did it all. He was truly a superstar entertainer.
With all of the lawsuits and bizarre behavior, I personally think MJ was more a victim of his fame and stardom than anyone or anything else. His Neverland Ranch is classic evidence of this. Now that he has passed on, I'm posting photos of Neverland taken at night (quite appropriate symbolism), by a very talented photographer. No matter what you think about the King of Pop, you'll consider these pics to be aesthetically sound and you'll find the subject matter downright fascinating. I personally think he was a kind, decent soul...a man with superstar talent but a super fragile personality.
This is a little tribute to my first crush, may he rest in peace.
Posted by Mix Family at 3:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
well okay then! you had a crush on MJ? hahahaharharharhar! gross. then again--what am I saying? i was in love with Kenneth Flukinger. mr. comb-over himself.
anyway, i'm with you on the fact that we've lost a musical genius. you can't NOT sing along to Billy Jean. come on.
anyway! i love your patriotic page colors! xoxoxo
That's awesome. I thought he was pretty cool myself...back in the day. My mother LOVED him. When he died the first thing I thought was how sad his life ended up turning into a tragedy. He started off as the shiz. When I was in high school me and 4 other girls did a dance to "Beat It" for the school talent show...yes, in high school. We all dressed like MJ and had only blue lights and a fog machine. It was the coolest.
Post a Comment