Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About the house

(Typed last night at 9:30p.m.)
As I type this Caleb has just had a haircut and a bath. He's sitting in a pile of pillows on the couch, watching the setting sun (it will be setting for a few hours), eating a chocolate chip cookie.  Mind you, he's still in his birthday suit and I can't think of a more enjoyable thing to do...can you?  Cannon is at the next door neighbor's house, admiring a tricked-out Land Cruiser.  After some muggy weather, a week of rain, being sick with colds, herniated discs, and hyperthyroidism--the sun is shining.  Indeed it is.  Cannon will start his supplementation meds tomorrow--yay!!  He's been my Edward Cullen the last few weeks with skin that is ice cold.  He has had barely enough energy to work. I'm surprised he had enough to go fishing (wink, wink). No, but seriously, he has been really lethargic. I can't wait for him to feel well.  And I've got a neurosurgeon exam on Friday--how scary does that sound? Yah, some hoo-ha herniations in my neck have been giving me grief for the last 6 weeks and the neuro doc is going to tell me exactly what has happened, and what treatment options I will have. We're praying that the word "surgery" does not come up in our discussion as something that is a "must".  Last time I checked, there was no "Get my neck sliced open when I'm 33" written on my "Goals and Dreams" list.  

But back to the sunshine...it came out and lit upon all the beautiful flowers and plants, so we smacked the camera like a ketchup bottle to get the lens out (it hasn't been the same since a bottle of water spilled on it during a biking jaunt), and I snapped a few photos of our backyard.
I was really happy to be using the camera. It is crazy how attached I've become to the camera and the photo-journaling lifestyle.  

Sticky fingers...I talked to him about the monkey who got his hand stuck in the jar because he was greedy but it did no good. He walked around with 3 cookies smashed close to his heart...
The kitchen where those cookies were baked now has a red accent wall and new rug to match...we've sanded the cupboards and will be repainting them and putting new hinges on all the doors. I want to paint them black but it would make an already dark "galley" kitchen seem like the depths of hell...so we'll keep them cream colored and the kitchen will remain light.
I love the way a piano looks in the sunlight, especially at dusk.
Lets follow our greedy cookie monster out to the backyard...
"Someone must have planted these flowers a few years ago." We say that because flowers are scattered about in patches, in random places in the yard. There is so much shade that it is difficult for plants and flowers to grow, unless they are woodland type species.
You'll see a busted trampoline. We got skunked on craigslist, but a garage sale find provided us with a little playground.
On days where the sun is starting to shine, we'll eat outside. It's wonderful!

The fuschia are blooming, finally!  I cut them back way too much this year.  I'm still learning...

I don't know what this ginormous plant is named...I like to call it Tantor.  It started with 3 leaves...
Beautiful moss on the trees...
Our fire pit with a fire that was bigger than the pit--thanks to a pyro hubby.
We transplanted some raspberries and hopefully next year they will bring fruit!
We also transplanted some strawberries and they did bring on some berries!  Almost ripe!
Out front Cannon was wheelin' and dealin' on a craigslist sale of some washer and dryer pedestals. The nice lady bought them and we hope they fit her w/d.
This is an epic photo journaling blog, I know.  But I was so happy to be able to use the camera that I even took pics of the craigslist tires we'll be putting on my wagon!
Holy petunias!
So there you have it.  An evening of sunshine at 2900 Concord Lane. Wish you all could be here to enjoy it with us!

4 comments:

The Lolly said...

what a great post!!! i loved being able to walk thru the moments of your sunshiny evening with you! gosh, caleb is so grown up!! and he's a chocolate chip cookie monster you say? hmm...where on earth did he get that? :) Tantor the plant is cracking me UP. all your foliage is so pretty, even with the sad crumpled trampoline skeleton laying in the midst. i'm glad you and cannon both seem to have a clear method of treatment at least for your different ailments. :( get better! love you!!! oxoxo

Anonymous said...

What a great synopsis of your day yesterday. So glad the camera is still hanging in there. Your yard looks so green and beautiful - your front porch is so inviting w/ the potted plant and flag flying in the breeze. Get over your ailments soon! A cookie or two should do the trick. Just ask Caleb. He's recovered just fine from the 'snots' due to your good chicken noodle soup and tookies.

Heidi said...

favorite post EVER! your backyard is like the botanic gardens. i love all the pictures. :)

Amy said...

Great pictures of the flowers. Those petunias are so beautiful. I love that picture of the purple one. I too love sunlight spilling in through a window. I still remember the way it used to shine through my parents old beaded bedroom curtains...gotta love the 70's. Caleb is a man after my own heart. I realized cookies are my favorite dessert. I have a killer chocolate chip cookie recipe if you're interested. Glad the spicy sauce is working out. I'll have to try it on salmon...not sure about the moose though...

Hope things go well with the neuro. Let us know.