"Is this how it's supposed to look?"
Cannon tried his hand at dip netting. We only got a few fish but I'm proud of Cannon for bringing anything home, considering that it was the first time he'd done it, the salmon count was 9,500 the day he fished compared to 55,000 the previous day, and it was cold, miserable fishing. And it is a physically draining way to fish, but the advantage of getting more fish, quicker draws huge crowds. So I'm tellin you about fishing, in Alaska, for salmon...that means one thing...BIG FRIGGIN' FISH! Even 3 filleted fish filled 20 quart size ziplock bags.
But to get them in the bags, we had to fillet them. We've never processed salmon on our own before. After Cannon hamburgerized the first fish, I ran to the store and bought a new fillet knife. We were sure it was the knife, not Cannon!! Ha! Then we watched a bunch of Youtube videos and started on a different fish. Of course, it looks much easier than it is and Cannon was trying to get every last piece of salmon off the bones because he worked sooo hard just to get the few fish that he did. I had to show him photos and videos of filleted fish, so that he could "let it go"...the fact that he couldn't get every morsel of fish off. I made a sushi bag with all the little pieces he would pull off. Fresh salmon is delish.
I've got the knife ready to go.

5 comments:
haha! that big headless fish on top reminds me the the hatchet wealding cook in The Little Mermaid. Zootaloo! good thing you like fish man. Hera would love to stay with you and pick up all the scraps. (p.s. do you have enough knives?)
It's all about the lessons we learn in life. You're being resourceful with your natural resources and learning how to fillet and all that business. Wish we were neighbors so we could have a cookout w/ you! You'll always have lots of friends, if you have lots of food! Have a great weekend.
Man you're Salmon makes the frozen bag I bought from Sam's Club look weak. If I'm ever lost in the wilderness I hope you're with me.
haaa! i thoiught the same thing about your knives too, lolly!! funny. cool fishies!
Man that looks tasty!
Post a Comment