Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Fishin' and Hikin'

Fishin'--Cannon went downtown, fishin' for Kings last night and had a helper.  They are best buddies. 
He didn't catch one but some lucky feller/gal did.  You can see why these salmon are called "Kings".  Look at the size of that monster hanging under the sign.
Hikin'--Sometimes you just have to hire a babysitter and take a hike. This was one of those mornings. My friend Linda took me on a hike that was simply amazing.  Creeks, rushing waterfalls, wild strawberry/raspberry patches, wildflowers of all colors and sizes...lots of lupin and green leaves carpeting the mountainside.  



Oh, and we saw a bear...a big, mama black bear. And NO, I don't have a picture of the bear...taking a picture of her was the last thing on my mind.  She was 20 yards ahead of us munching away.  She was a beautiful creature.  We saw her first and my immediate reaction was to turn around but Linda started clapping and hollering at her.  The bear looked at us and then ran off.  With moose, you turn around and walk the other way. With bear you holler and stand your ground. But even though I knew that, my instinct said "run"!  
I'm glad Linda is the ultimate outdoors woman (she's lived here 30 years and hunts and traps everything) and had the calm sense to holler at the bear.  After it ran off I said "I've never seen a black bear that close before!" Her response: "Oh, I should have waited to clap so you could get a better look!"  She was half joking, but not really. Me: "How close do you think it was?" Linda: "Close enough to shoot!"  Then we just laughed and went on our way.  You have to know Linda to understand how funny it was because she's so matter-of-fact and tough as nails...


Who's up for a hike?

4 comments:

Jennifer M said...

What an amazing place to live! I'm jealous of your hike--except the bear part.

Lettie B. said...

I love the bear story. Your friend is brave! I would have crapped my pants and/or followed my instincts like you and gotten ready to bolt. When we went to AK a few years ago i was really nervous about bears for most of our short little hikes. I don't love bear country but do like seeing them in the wild (safely from my car!)

That last picture with the pinecone is beautiful. I love the sharp focus on the pinecone ad the out of focus background. And the colors are so pretty.

The Lolly said...

oh gosh, look at cannon and caleb fishing. that is so cute!!! and wait wait--you said they're fishing for salmon? because i think i see a baby great white hanging there.... good golly! what a beautiful place to go hiking! we go too someday!!!!! don't worry...i've seen a black bear up close too. remember ashton? across the field? i was out jogging and i thought it was klondike so i started running toward it.... no.....bear cub. i turned and ran the fastest mile i've ever run. arharharharh. meow meow!

Amy said...

Beautiful pics. Love the B&W pic of Cannon and Caleb. Holy crow on the bear. We saw a black bear about 50 yards a way in WY and I about dropped a load.