Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It is good to be home

We have been home for 3 days and it is really nice to be back in our comfort zone. I have unpacking and laundry to do but it is snowing and overcast...Caleb is down for a nap...and I'm going to curl up with a good book.
We truly enjoyed spending time with our families over the holidays. It will keep me going for a long time...especially when I get to missing them. Looking back on 2008, it has been a tumultuous year and that might explain why it was such a relief to land in Anchorage on Saturday and know we were home. About a year ago we were going through the stress of finding a job as Cannon was finishing his graduate coursework. I was a brand new mom, learning how to transition to life at home after years of working in an office. We were renting a home and trying to decide if we should buy it or not. There were many decisions to make, but mostly a lot of waiting. I'm not a "waiter". I'm a "doer"..so it was an uncomfortable, precarious time for me. We got a job in Oregon and said goodbye to our families. After arriving in Oregon, and only 2 weeks into his job, Cannon received his "dream job" offer in Anchorage, AK. I absolutely loved Oregon but I absolutely love Cannon more and this job was exactly what he wanted. Three months, almost to the day that we left Tempe, AZ, we landed in Anchorage, AK. We were starting fresh again. I was the logistics coordinator for both moves and it was pretty intense work, but we got through everything and landed in a little house with a great yard and close proximity to work, church, school, grocery store, parks, post office and fitness gym. Up until now, we've been settling into our new life in Alaska. We love it here and we are looking forward to this new year. As we become more comfortable and familiar with Alaska, we hope our friends and family will feel inclined to visit. There is something about the grand beauty of this place that gets to you and it never goes away.

0 comments: